If You Have a Graduate Assistantship

Congratulations on having a Graduate Assistantship!

There are things you will need to know. The Office of Human Resources also has helpful information about Graduate Assistantships.

Expand all

When to Arrive

Most graduate assistantships start one week before the start of classes, but some departments have an earlier orientation. You should ask your department about when to arrive.

You Must Complete Important Paperwork On or Before Your First Day of Work

Before you can begin work, you will be required to:

  • Complete all new international student requirements, which are required to remove your AI hold, register for classes full-time, and update your address in MyU.
  • Complete an I-9 form on or before your first day of employment. It is essential that you complete this document and present the necessary documentation prior to beginning work. Review our I-9 webpage for a list of these documents and more information.
  • If you are a J-1 student, you must email your employment information

The UMN recommends submitting your application for a Social Security Number within your first 10 days of work, but you do not need to do this before you begin work. Review our information about Obtaining a Social Security Number for more including the answer to the question "When should I apply?"

Please note: Failure to begin working on your start date may result in a loss of salary and/or a portion of your tuition and health care benefits.

Information To Know About Your Paycheck

When You Will Get Your First Paycheck

If you are a graduate student with an assistantship, your first paycheck will most likely not be issued until a month after the start of your assistantship. Therefore, you should bring funds to cover your initial expenses.

Be Aware of a Possible Deduction

The total value of your appointment or fellowship may be subject to a deduction of as much as 28 percent to cover taxes on the value of your tuition waiver. You should also be aware that your assistantship or fellowship may not cover all your expenses, so plan your budget and calculate how much additional money you may need for the rest of the year.

Last updated: August 12, 2021