Scholar Change of Category Information for Departments

The University of Minnesota is authorized to offer four J-1 categories (Professor, Research Scholar, Short-term Scholar, and Student-Intern) in addition to the J-1 student category.

If the exchange visitor is currently in the U.S. on a J-1 visa in a different category than what the department is requesting on the DS-2019 application, the visitor needs to do a change of category. For example, if the department would like to invite someone to do research for one year, the individual will need to be in the “Research Scholar” category. If the exchange visitor is not in the “Research Scholar” category at their institution, they will need to change categories. A change of category requires the individual to leave the U.S. and re-enter on a new DS-2019 that reflects the correct category.

If the exchange visitor is subject to the 12-month bar or the 24-month bar, they will not be eligible to re-enter on the J-1 research scholar or professor categories. In addition, the exchange visitor needs a valid J-1 entry visa stamp on the passport to re-enter in a new category.

The department and/or visitor should discuss the procedure with an ISSS J advisor.

Last updated: June 4, 2021