On-Campus Employment for J-1 Students

J-1 work authorization can only be issued by the sponsoring agency that issued your DS-2019. Do not start employment without proper work authorization. This includes internships and any summer employment.

Expand all

Can I work on campus?

If your DS-2019 was issued by the University of Minnesota (academic programs only): 

  • Authorization is not necessary for a 50%-time employment (20 hrs. per week) or less if your DS-2019 was issued by UMN and your paycheck is issued by UMN. However, if you have a non-UMN financial sponsor, they may require you to seek approval for employment from them.
  • Includes student employment jobs and graduate assistantships.
  • Can begin working first semester at the University, if registered full time.
  • Must be a full-time student or have submitted a valid Reduced Course Load Form.

Please note: J-1 work authorization can only be issued by the sponsoring agency that issued your DS-2019. If your DS-2019 was issued by another agency, please contact that agency for information about work authorization.

How many hours can I work?

  • Hours limited to 50% (20 hours per week) during the academic year, and 100% (40 hours per week) during vacation periods.
  • 100% (40 hours per week) allowed during the academic year with full-time academic training authorization from the office that issued your DS-2019.

How can I find a job?

  • For student employment, go to humanresources.umn.edu/jobs on the web. Check frequently! (Please note: International students are not eligible for “work study” jobs.)
  • For graduate assistantships, jobs are posted:

Do I need to report if I find on-campus employment?

Any employment must be recorded in SEVIS. Email ISSS at [email protected] with the following information:

  • Name of organization/department you work for
  • Address
  • Start date
  • End date
  • Number of hours per week
  • Employment type (on or off campus)
  • On-campus employment type (Assistantship, Scholarship, Fellowship, or on the premises)

I am graduating. When do I need to stop working on campus?

This work authorization ends on the day you complete all requirements for your program of study. Please meet with an ISSS advisor to discuss and secure proper work authorization before continuing your on-campus employment or graduate assistantship after program completion. 

Last updated: June 15, 2021