J-1 work authorization can only be issued by the sponsoring agency that issued your DS-2019. Do not start employment without proper work authorization. This includes internships and any summer employment.
Can I work on campus?
If your DS-2019 was issued by the University of Minnesota (academic programs only):
- Authorization is not necessary for a 50%-time employment (20 hrs. per week) or less if your DS-2019 was issued by UMN and your paycheck is issued by UMN. However, if you have a non-UMN financial sponsor, they may require you to seek approval for employment from them.
- Includes student employment jobs and graduate assistantships.
- Can begin working first semester at the University, if registered full time.
- Must be a full-time student or have submitted a valid Reduced Course Load Form.
Please note: J-1 work authorization can only be issued by the sponsoring agency that issued your DS-2019. If your DS-2019 was issued by another agency, please contact that agency for information about work authorization.
How many hours can I work?
- Hours limited to 50% (20 hours per week) during the academic year, and 100% (40 hours per week) during vacation periods.
- 100% (40 hours per week) allowed during the academic year with full-time academic training authorization from the office that issued your DS-2019.
How can I find a job?
Do I need to report if I find on-campus employment?
I am graduating. When do I need to stop working on campus?
This work authorization ends on the day you complete all requirements for your program of study. Please meet with an ISSS advisor to discuss and secure proper work authorization before continuing your on-campus employment or graduate assistantship after program completion.
Can I work off campus?
You can work off campus with Academic Training authorization. The work must be related to your program of study.
In limited circumstances, students can work off campus in areas unrelated to their program of study. This is limited to cases of unforeseen economic necessity. To be eligible, you must:
- Demonstrate serious, urgent, and unforeseen financial need
- Be in good academic standing
- Continue to engage in a full course of study during the academic year
Off-campus employment due to economic necessity is only available before you complete your degree. You can work up to 20 hours per week (inclusive of all employment held on- and off-campus) during the academic year and 40 hours during vacation periods.
If your DS-2019 was issued by ISSS, you will apply for authorization from ISSS. Visit an ISSS J-1 advisor during walk-ins or make an appointment.
If your DS-2019 was issued by a different sponsor, contact them for authorization.