The DS-7002 is the U.S. Department of State form that the UMN Faculty Mentor completed in order to describe the internship training plan for a J-1 student-intern. The Faculty Mentor described detailed goals and objectives and a specific timeline on this form.
If the original goals and objectives cannot be completed by the end date on the DS-7002, the UMN department and the Faculty Mentor must request that ISSS process an extension on the student-intern’s behalf within 60 days of the current end date on the DS-7002.
Please note: The DS-2019 exhibits a J-1 student-intern's visa status and validity. It is used as an entry and a status document. It has the same start and end dates as the DS-7002. This form will also be extended when a request is made by the UMN hosting department.
An extension is possible if the UMN Faculty Mentor determines that the J-1 student-intern needs to continue their training activities beyond the current end date on the DS-2019 and DS-7002. Student-intern activities cannot continue beyond this date into the 30-day grace period. An extension can only be granted for the purpose of a J-1 student-intern continuing their training in a UMN department.
A student-intern is eligible for an extension of the J student-intern program if:
- The UMN hosting department and faculty mentor determine the extension is necessary
- The student-intern will have enough funding (as indicated in the ISSS extension application) to support themselves and any J-2 dependents for the duration of time on the extended DS-2019 and DS-7002
- The student-intern (and any J-2 dependents) has active UMN health insurance
- The student-intern has not applied for and been granted a U.S. Department of State waiver of the Two-Year Rule
- The student-intern has not already reached the 12 months of maximum program duration as a J-1 student-intern
- The student-intern will maintain registration in their bachelor's degree abroad through the new end date. In other words, they will not graduate or withdraw from their program abroad before the student-internship ends.
How to Apply
To apply for a program extension, the UMN hosting department must complete the ISSS extension request and submit it to [email protected] (please use the Subject: Student-Intern Extension Request).
Submit the request within 60 days prior to the current end date on the student-intern’s DS-7002.
If the student-intern has a J-2 dependent who needs to extend their J-2 work permission, the UMN hosting department may submit the request to ISSS 120 days prior to the current DS-7002 end date.
Upon approval by the ISSS advisor, new DS-7002 and DS-2019 documents reflecting the new program end date are processed and issued to the student-intern (and to any eligible dependents). The UMN hosting department will be emailed when the extended DS-7002 and DS-2019 documents are ready. Please allow at least 2 weeks of processing for the new documents.
* Make sure that the academic department administrator/HR representative is aware of the intentions to extend. There may be additional department-specific paperwork to be completed in addition to extending the DS-7002 and DS-2019.
After Extension Is Granted
Obtaining extended DS-7002 and DS-2019 does not automatically extend the student-intern’s UMN health insurance coverage. The student-intern must additionally extend theirs and any eligible J-2 dependents’ health insurance coverage.
If the student-intern is on UMN payroll, they will need to make an appointment with the Central Payroll Office (in the West Bank Office Building) and complete a new Form I-9. At that time, the student-intern will need to present the new DS-2019, passport, and current I-94 card/record.
If the student-intern has a driver’s license, they will need to apply for an extension with the MN Department of Motor Vehicles. No one should drive with an expired Minnesota driver’s license.
- There is no limit to the number of extension requests a UMN department can submit on behalf of a student-intern. As long as the student-intern fulfills the Purpose and Eligibility criteria above, the UMN hosting department may submit an extension request for review.
- The ISSS fee is the same for all extensions regardless of program duration. The Fee Form in the application must be completed with the department EFS account string. Other methods of payment cannot be used for this fee.