Be sure to follow these procedures to transfer to or from the University of Minnesota.
Transfer from the University of Minnesota
You are eligible for a transfer if:
- The transfer is consistent with the goals of the original program activity and is a continuation of the original program activity
- The transfer will not extend your stay beyond what is permitted for your exchange visitor category
You are not eligible for transfer if you have violated your legal status (See scholar and student-intern violation of status). The new sponsor will discuss with you re-entry to regain legal status or a reinstatement application to the Department of Homeland Security to regain legal status. The ISSS advisor can also discuss options with you.
Your SEVIS record must be “transferred out” to your new sponsor before they can prepare a DS-2019 for you.
- Download the Request to Transfer Out form (for Scholars or Student-Interns).
- Fill out the form (Note: You will need to contact the corresponding ISSS office at the institution where you would like to transfer to obtain some of the data required)
- Meet with an ISSS advisor during Walk-In Hours or a scheduled appointment to discuss your intent to transfer and to determine your transfer “effective date.” The transfer effective date will be the date you no longer have ties to the University of Minnesota and can not be later than the end date of the DS-2019 issued by ISSS.
- Ask the ISSS advisor to process a “transfer out” in SEVIS for you. You must be certain that you want to go to the new sponsor.
- When the transfer effective date arrives, your new sponsor will gain access to your SEVIS record and will be able to process a “Transfer Out” DS-2019 for you.
- You may use the new DS-2019 for re-entry into the U.S. if you elect to travel before reporting to your new sponsor. You must have a valid J-1 entry visa stamp and you must be prepared to document the funding resources noted on the DS-2019. If this is your intention, be sure to contact your new J program sponsor and inform them of your plans. The new program sponsor will not be able to issue the new DS-2019 until the transfer effective date.
If your plans change (for example, you decide to transfer to a different sponsor or you decide to continue employment at the UMN for a longer period of time, etc.) it is essential that you notify an ISSS adviser immediately! Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, the action cannot be reversed.
Transfer to the University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota cannot process your DS-2019 until your current sponsor processes an electronic “transfer out” of your SEVIS record. Discuss with your current sponsor the transfer “effective date.” That date should be the date that you no longer have ties to your current sponsor.
Please note: The effective date of your transfer can not be later than the end date of the DS-2019 issued by your previous sponsor.
Current Sponsor Procedures
- Meet with your current J-1 sponsor to discuss your intent to transfer to the University of Minnesota and to determine a SEVIS transfer “effective date.”
- Ask your current J-1 sponsor to process a “transfer out” in SEVIS for you to come to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities.
- If you have violated your legal status, you will not be eligible to have your visa status transferred. (See scholar and student-intern violation of status pages.) The University of Minnesota will issue you a new DS-2019 to begin a new program (not a transfer DS-2019) that you must use to a) re-enter the U.S. to regain legal status or b) apply to the Department of Homeland Security for reinstatement of legal status.
- ISSS staff will review your options with you and provide you with further information.
Procedure at the University of Minnesota
- Contact your University of Minnesota hosting department and ask them to submit an application for an initial DS-2019 to ISSS.
- Once your transfer becomes effective, you must immediately report to our office. ISSS is required to report your participation to the University of Minnesota program via SEVIS within 30 days of the program effective date. Due to processing time required, you must report to ISSS within 25 days of your effective date. At that time, the University of Minnesota will be able to access your SEVIS record and prepare a University of Minnesota DS-2019.
- If you travel outside the U.S. before continuing your program activity at the University of Minnesota you should use the University of Minnesota DS-2019 for re-entry. You must have a valid J-1 entry visa stamp and you must be prepared to document the funding resources noted on the DS-2019. If this is your intention, please contact the ISSS office and inform a J advisor of your plans. ISSS will not be able to issue the new DS-2019 until the transfer effective date.
- Upon your arrival on the campus of the University of Minnesota, complete your Scholar Check-In or Student-Intern Check-In. Bring your passport, I-94, previous DS-2019(s), UMN DS-2019, and J-2 dependent documents, if applicable.