All new J-1 student-interns who were issued a DS-2019 and DS-7002 by ISSS are required to complete Student-Intern Check-In within 25 days of their DS-2019 (and DS-7002) start date.
Student-Intern Check-In is a mandatory process that verifies your arrival and proper immigration status for SEVIS purposes. This is to ensure that you are eligible to start your J program at the University of Minnesota.
You are expected to keep your hosting department informed regarding your arrival and any delay beyond the 25 days. Review our arrival dates information to see what to do if you are delayed.
Where to Go
If your hosting department is part of the Twin Cities campus:
- Report to ISSS at 190 Humphrey School (on the West Bank of the Minneapolis campus) during our office hours (note occasional closures). An appointment is not needed, and you do not need to wait for Walk-In Hours. This generally takes approximately 20 minutes to complete.
If your hosting department is located outside of the Twin Cities:
- Report to your hosting department and ask them to email the information and copies of documentation listed below to [email protected] (Subject: [Your Name] Scholar/Student-Intern Check-In Materials).
What to Bring
ISSS will ask you for the following:
- UMN ID number (if you do not know, please ask your hosting department)
- U.S. residential address (a temporary location is fine)
- DS-2019 (only the front is needed)
- Passport, J-1 entry visa, and admission stamp (in your passport)
- For dependents: Provide J-2 arrival documents as well (if they will arrive later, send us copies of their documents once they arrive)