All new J-1 student-interns who were issued a DS-2019 and DS-7002 by ISSS are required to complete Student-Intern Check-In within 25 days of their DS-2019 (and DS-7002) start date.
Student-Intern Check-In is a mandatory process that verifies your arrival and proper immigration status for SEVIS purposes. This is to ensure that you are eligible to start your J program at the University of Minnesota.
You are expected to keep your hosting department informed regarding your arrival and any delay beyond the 25 days. Review our arrival dates information to see what to do if you are delayed.
How to Check-In
Please send an email titled, “Student-intern Check-In” with the following documents and information to [email protected].
All attached documents should be separate, labeled files. Please do not combine your immigration documents into one file.
- UMN ID number (if you do not know, please ask your hosting department)
- U.S. residential address (a temporary location is fine)
- U.S. phone number (if necessary, you can use a temporary number such as a friend or your department)
- DS-2019 (only the front is needed)
- J-1 entry visa
- Most recent I-94 record
- For dependents: Provide J-2 arrival documents as well (if they will arrive later, send us copies of their documents once they arrive)