You are considered a “SEVIS Transfer Student” if you currently hold F-1 or J-1 status at another institution in the U.S. and plan to remain in the same immigration status (F-1 or J-1) when at the UMN. This includes students who are transferring to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities from another UMN campus.
If this does not describe your situation, review our information about applying for a visa or email [email protected] for assistance.
How to Transfer Your SEVIS Record
F-1 Transfer Students
The F-1 transfer process involves several steps, all of which must be carried out to complete your transfer.
Get a "Transfer Pending" I-20
To initiate your SEVIS transfer and receive a “Transfer Pending” I-20 from the UMN, complete the following steps as soon as possible after confirming your enrollment:
- Contact the international student advising office at your current institution and inform them of your intent to transfer to the UMN. An advisor at your current school will need to determine your “Transfer Release Date” and schedule your SEVIS record to be transferred to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities on that date.
- Complete an I-20 request form, and inform the University of Minnesota of your “Transfer Release Date.” The process varies based on what type of student you are:
- If you will be an undergraduate student at UMN, you will be required to report your transfer release date on your “Undergraduate New Student I-20 Request” in MyISSS. There is no form for your current school to complete.
- If you are entering a graduate program at UMN, you should submit the I-20 request form (found on your application status page) and wait for further instructions from the Office of Graduate Admissions. You do not need to submit a transfer release form.
- If you are entering a professional school program, you will complete a paper Transfer Release Form. This will be provided to you by your school of admission.
- You will be issued a "Transfer Pending" I-20 once you have completed the steps above and your Transfer Release Date has passed.
Complete Your SEVIS Transfer
To complete your SEVIS transfer, complete the following steps as soon as possible after arriving at UMN:
- Complete all of your ISSS New Student Requirements.
- Update your "Mailing Address" (your address in Minnesota) on MyU.
- Register full-time for courses.
- You will be issued a “Transfer Completed” I-20 once you have completed these steps. The "Transfer Completed" I-20 will be issued within 15 days after the start of the semester. Your Transfer Completed I-20 is your official University of Minnesota I-20.
J-1 Transfer Students
Incoming J-1 students should complete the following steps in order.
- Contact the international student advising office at your current institution and inform them of your intent to transfer to the UMN. An advisor at your current school will need to consult with UMN ISSS staff to determine your “Transfer Release Date” and schedule your SEVIS record to be transferred to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities on that date.
- Please note: J-1 transfer dates cannot reflect any gap from one sponsor to the next. In most circumstances, UMN cannot transfer in your SEVIS record more than 30 days before your degree program start date.
- Submit the DS-2019 Application for New J-1 Degree-Seeking Students Form found at z.umn.edu/jfincert, so a UMN DS-2019 form can be created for you.
- After arriving at the UMN, complete all of your ISSS New Student Requirements.
- Update your “Mailing Address” (your Minnesota address) on MyU.
- Register full-time for classes.
- Email [email protected] with the subject line "Check-In" as soon as you have registered for classes.
Please note: If you are a Fulbright student, please contact a Sponsored Student advisor. Your process will be slightly different.