ISSS is not offering in-person advising or Walk-in Hours at this time.
The ISSS Welcome Center (190 Humphrey School) is open to the public Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., unless otherwise noted. During these hours, staff will be available for the following services:
- Phone/virtual advising for international students, scholars, and departments
- Document pick-up and drop-off
- The signing of F-1 Employment Verification letters (students can bring their letters to the Welcome Center for a signature any time the office is open)
On Wednesday and Friday the ISSS office will be closed to the public, and staff will be offering all advising services remotely.
Students/scholars who have questions will need to email, call, or meet with an advisor virtually (more information below), and you should go to the Forms page for your visa type to submit requests through MyISSS or email.
To Ask a Question or Make an Appointment
Current Students and Scholars
F/J Student and Scholar Virtual Advising Appointments
To schedule a meeting with an advisor, please visit isss.appointments.umn.edu. These appointments are limited to 25 minutes, and you can schedule appointments with specific advisors. You will receive a Zoom link in your confirmation email, and each advisor sets their own schedule for when appointments are available.
PLEASE NOTE: F-1 students who have short questions are encouraged to use the drop-in advising (below).
*NEW* Drop-in Virtual Advising for F-1 Students
These are 10-minute sessions to answer quick or urgent questions. ISSS's Virtual Drop-Ins hours will be on Mondays (10:00 a.m. to Noon), Wednesdays (1:00 to 3:00 p.m.), and Fridays (1:00 to 3:00 p.m.).
To start a drop-in, go to isssdropins.appointments.umn.edu during our drop-in hours. You will be asked a few short questions and then placed in a Zoom meeting room. The next available ISSS advisor will join the room to answer your question.
- You cannot request to talk to a specific advisor during a drop-in appointment, and you will be asked to make an advising appointment if your question will take longer than 10 minutes to answer.
- Drop-ins are only for students on F-1 visas. Students on J-1 or other visas will need to make an appointment (above).
Review the Academic Counseling webpage for directions on how to make an appointment.
If you have been accepted but not started classes, you can email [email protected] when you have questions. If you are not sure who to ask on campus, we will answer or direct you to the correct office.
Departments and Staff
Employment-Based Visas (this does not include CPT/OPT)
Departments with Questions about J Exchange Visitors
J Exchange Visitors are: J-1 Research Scholars, Professors, Short-Term Scholars, & J student Interns
How do I submit a visa-related request?
- Current students and scholars: Please review the forms page for your visa type. Many of our requests can be submitted through MyISSS, but some requests must be submitted through email.
- New students: You will need to contact the office/agency who created your visa document if you have questions or need a change.
- Departments and staff with questions about employment-based visas (not CPT/OPT): Email [email protected] or contact their advisor/case manager directly by email.
- Departments with questions about J Exchange Visitors: Email [email protected] or contact the staff member directly.
How can I bring/drop-off documents to the ISSS office?
When necessary, documents can be dropped off at the ISSS Welcome Center whenever the office is open to the public. An appointment is not needed to leave documents at ISSS, however, you will not be able to meet with an advisor when doing so.
Visa requests should be submitted either through MyISSS or email (review the Forms page for more information)
Document Delivery and Processing
How can I receive my documents?
Depending on your visa type, you can select the delivery method that is most convenient for you.
- Email: Due to visa regulations, only F-1 students can choose to receive electronic versions of their documents through email.
- Standard Mail: Physical I-20/DS-2019 documents can be mailed through standard mail. There will not a cost for this.
- Express Mail: International students/scholars and university staff/faculty can choose to have their physical I-20/DS-2019 documents sent to them by Express mail (Eship Global) or USPS. Students/employees/departments will be responsible for paying for the cost of express mail.
- Pick-up: Physical I-20/DS-2019 documents can be picked up from the ISSS Welcome Center whenever the office is open to the public.
What is the processing time for an I-20?
The processing time for all I-20 requests is 10 business days.
What is the definition of a "business day"?
When accepting visa document requests, we often state, “ISSS takes 7 or 10 business days to issue a new document.” What is this?
A business day is a day when ISSS staff are working.
ISSS starts counting business days on the business day after the request is received. Business days are usually Monday through Friday. Weekends (Saturday and Sunday) are not business days, and days ISSS staff are not working are also not business days.
Examples (review a graphic version here):
- ISSS receives your request on a Tuesday (the 1st day of the month). The following Monday is a holiday so ISSS staff will not be working. Your document will be ready on the following Friday (the 11th day of the month).
NOTE: ISSS cannot back-date an authorization (write a date earlier than when it should be authorized).
How do I use eShip Global?
Visit Our Office
Directions to the ISSS Welcome Center
Located on the first floor where the Humphrey School and Heller Hall connect
190 Hubert H. Humphrey School (campus map)
301 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455
Checking in for Appointments
For in-person appointments, all students and scholars should check in at the Welcome Center in 190 Humphrey (unless otherwise directed).
Some ISSS staff members have offices in other locations. If you have a meeting with an ISSS staff person and need assistance finding their office, check in at the Welcome Center in 190 Humphrey so staff can direct you.
Any individuals wishing a disability-related accommodation should contact the Welcome Center Front Desk (612-626-7100 or [email protected]). Please try to provide two weeks advance notice if you are requesting additional accommodations.