Departure from the U.S. for J-1 Scholars

The University is required to notify SEVIS when a J-1 exchange visitor (student, scholar, student-intern, etc.) completes their program earlier than 15 days before the end date on their document, transfers to a new J-1 sponsor, or changes their visa status.

SEVIS requires a reason any time an exchange visitor's record is terminated or ended in the SEVIS system and it’s important that the correct reason (for example, completed early, changed status, etc.) be provided. The reason remains a permanent part of the record and may have an affect on a J-1’s future eligibility to enter the U.S. Please inform ISSS of your situation as it pertains to your permanent departure from the University of Minnesota.

However, if you complete your program less than 15 days before the end date shown on your current DS-2019 form, you do not need to inform ISSS. Your DS-2019 will automatically expire in SEVIS the day after your program end date.

Please note: Departures for vacations do not need to be reported to ISSS.

Completion of Program Activity

SEVIS requires that J-1 exchange visitors (students, scholars, and student-interns) notify their J-1 sponsor (i.e. ISSS, etc.) if their program is completed 15 days or more before the program end date on their DS-2019. Complete the Departure form for Scholars or Student-Interns. This ensures that an exchange visitor's departure from the U.S. is properly recorded on their SEVIS record.

After completing your program activity, you have a 30-day grace period in which to depart or to travel within the U.S. You are not allowed to be involved in any J-1 activities during the grace period even without pay. If you will not be able to complete the J-1 program before the DS-2019 end date, you need to request a DS-2019 extension before the current DS-2019 expires. Also, you are not allowed to drive with your Minnesota driver’s license during the grace period. Minnesota driver's licenses expire when your DS-2019 expires.

Please make sure to update your new home address on MyU ( see Scholars or Student-Intern information).

Transfer to Another J-1 Program Sponsor

An exchange visitor’s SEVIS record must be electronically transferred to the new sponsor before the new sponsor can create a DS-2019.

Consult with an ISSS advisor regarding intent to transfer out and to determine a SEVIS “transfer effective date.”

Change in Visa Status

J-1 exchange visitors who change their visa status (for example, to H-1B, J-2, F-1, Permanent Resident, etc.) and who may or may not continue their program should notify ISSS immediately. ISSS will ask for a copy of the new status.

ISSS will terminate the individual’s SEVIS record based on the change in status.

Last updated: May 21, 2021