Program Extension is required if a student is unable to complete all degree requirements by the date noted in Item 5 of the SEVIS I-20. A Program Extension application must be submitted to and approved by ISSS before the I-20 expiration date.
Delays in completion must be caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as:
- Changes of major or research topics
- Unexpected research problems
- Documented illness
See F-1 Program Extension for more information.
If the student is applying for a program extension based on an academic reason, they are required to obtain a letter from their academic advisor that contains the following information:
- A detailed reason for the delay in completion
- Where the student is currently at in their program
- When the student will be expected to complete all degree requirements
If the extension is approved by the Graduate School (Graduate Students only) and/or ISSS, the student will be allowed to remain in the U.S. until the program is complete.