Welcome to the University of Minnesota!
On behalf of the staff of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) in the Global Programs and Strategy Alliance, congratulations on your admission to the University of Minnesota!
Our Twin Cities campus is centrally located in the exciting and friendly cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Minnesotans place a high value on education, and they also realize that hosting international students is an important component of what makes the University of Minnesota a vibrant and globalized campus. We think you will find this a warm and accepting community.
Complete Your ISSS New Student Requirements
In order to ensure the University of Minnesota can verify your immigration status, there is currently an AI hold on your record. You must complete the following requirements to have their AI Hold permanently removed.
- Complete the International Student Preparation Course
- Complete your ISSS Check-in Through MyISSS after you arrive in the United States
This requirement has two parts:
- Upload your immigration documents
- Complete an ISSS Check-In and Welcome Online Session
Please note, many international students have at least two holds on their record when they arrive at the University of Minnesota, so make sure to visit MyU and navigate to the "Holds" tab to determine if there are any actions you must take (learn how here). All of these holds need to be resolved before you will be allowed to register.
Get to Know ISSS
ISSS is your "home away from home." The staff of ISSS is ready to help you accomplish your educational goals and support your transition to campus. We believe that your wellbeing, especially during this time, is a high priority. We are here to help you navigate U.S. culture and campus through the various services we provide:
- Advising to help you maintain your immigration status
- Counseling to help you navigate academic and personal challenges
- Programs to help you meet other students and build leadership skills that are essential for your personal and professional success
We are delighted you chose to study at the UMN, and we look forward to meeting you! Please email us at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Barbara Kappler, Ph.D.
International Student & Scholar Services