Welcome to the University of Minnesota!
On behalf of the staff of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) in the Global Programs and Strategy Alliance, congratulations on your admission to the University of Minnesota!
The University of Minnesota — one of the nation’s top research universities — is centrally located in the thriving, metropolitan area of the Twin Cities. For career and internship opportunities, this is a great place to be.
As a top research university, UMN provides an amazing range of facilities and resources on campus. With more than 2.1 million square feet of research space, 14 libraries, educational and personal student support services, research programs and centers, social organizations, and career preparation resources, each student is equipped for success while in school and in the future.
Complete Your ISSS New Student Requirements
In order to ensure the University of Minnesota can verify your immigration status, there is currently an AI "Determine Current Visa Status" registration hold on your record. You must complete the following requirements to have your AI Hold permanently removed.
- Complete the International Student Preparation Course.
- Complete your ISSS Check-in and Welcome Session as soon as possible after you arrive in the United States. There are two parts to the ISSS Check-In and Welcome Session, both of which are required. They must be completed in the following order:
- Step 1: Check-in with ISSS. Use the "ISSS Check-in and Welcome Session" form in MyISSS to submit your immigration documents and notify ISSS of your arrival. This is required by the U.S. government.
- Step 2: Complete an ISSS Welcome Session. Depending on your student status, you may complete this requirement in-person or online. Full details are available here.
Please note, many international students have at least two holds on their record when they arrive at the University of Minnesota, so make sure to visit MyU and navigate to the "Holds" tab to determine if there are any actions you must take (learn how here). All of these holds need to be resolved before you will be allowed to register.
Get to Know ISSS
ISSS is your "home away from home." The staff of ISSS is ready to help you accomplish your educational goals and support your transition to campus. We believe that your wellbeing, especially during this time, is a high priority. We are here to help you navigate U.S. culture and campus through the various services we provide:
- Advising to help you maintain your immigration status
- Counseling to help you navigate academic and personal challenges
- Programs to help you meet other students and build leadership skills that are essential for your personal and professional success
We are delighted you chose to study at the UMN, and we look forward to meeting you! Please email us at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Barbara Kappler, Ph.D.
International Student & Scholar Services