A faculty mentor provides assistance to ISSS in maintaining the legal status of a J-1 visitor.
The faculty mentor agrees to the responsibilities below when signing on page 6 of the Prospective J-1 Scholar Application form (for Professors, Research Scholars, and Short-term Scholars) or the Host Department to Receive a Student-Intern form (for Student-Interns).
SEVIS requires the University to be responsible for tracking and reporting international visitors on J-1 (and F-1 visas). The consequence to the J-1 for not complying with immigration regulations are very severe under SEVIS.
ISSS will help your J-1 visitor maintain their legal status; however, we need your assistance. As faculty mentor, you must agree to be responsible for ensuring that:
- The J-1 visitor reports to ISSS within 30 days of arrival in the U.S. The J-1 must bring their visa documents and those of their J-2 dependents. If the foreign national does not report to ISSS within this period, ISSS is required to report this via SEVIS, and the visitor’s status is automatically canceled.
- ISSS is notified within 10 days when the J-1 changes their residential address.
- ISSS is notified if a scholar does not arrive within 30 days of the DS-2019 start date.
- The J-1 meets regularly with you to review activities and progress.
- The J-1 understands that they can not engage in professional activities that are not included on the DS-2019 without prior approval from you. Employment or other types of payment that are not specified on the DS-2019 must have prior approval from you and from ISSS.
- ISSS is notified when the J-1 ends their J-1 program for any reason, including:
- Completing the program as scheduled
- Completing before the end date on the DS-2019
- Transferring to a different J-1 sponsor
- Changing J-1 category via re-entry into the U.S.
- Changing status to a different visa type
- Leaving the University before completing the program
- The J-1 visitor is informed that they are required by the Department of State to carry health insurance for themselves and their dependents. In addition, the J-1 is informed that the UMN requires all international scholars to enroll in the University sponsored health insurance.
Additional Responsibilities for Faculty Mentors of J-1 Student-Interns:
- Evaluations: A final evaluation of the Student-Intern is required and must be completed prior to the conclusion of the internship program. Programs longer than 6 months also require a mid-point evaluation in addition to the final evaluation. A copy of the completed and signed evaluation must be given to ISSS for required record keeping.
- Position Restrictions: Student-Interns may not be placed in unskilled or casual labor positions, a position that requires or involves child care or elder care, or a position in the field of aviation. Student-Interns also may not be placed in clinical positions or positions that engage in any kind of work that involves patient (human or animal) care or contact, including any work that would require medication or other clinical or medical care. The Student-Intern’s position can require no more than 20% clerical work.