U.S. government regulations require that all new F-1 and J-1 international students report their arrival to their University.
To fulfill this requirement, you will log into MyISSS and complete the “ISSS Check-in” form. Through the form, you will:
- Upload scanned copies or pictures of your immigration documents
- Provide your U.S. address and emergency contact information
- Learn important information about activating your SEVIS record
- Complete an immigration regulations quiz to ensure you are familiar with the immigration rules that will be important for your success at UMN
Who needs to complete the ISSS Check-in?
All new F-1 and J-1 international students.
When should I complete the ISSS Check-in?
The ISSS Check-in must be completed as soon as possible after your arrival at the UMN.
How do I complete the ISSS Check-in?
The check-in is completed online. Log into MyISSS and fill out the “ISSS Check-in” form. To locate the form, click on the “Admissions” tab on the left side of the MyISSS homepage.
Then, click on "ISSS Check-In" under Tasks.
The form has multiple sections you will need to complete in sequential order — they are labeled by number so you can see where you are at in the process.
Before starting the form, you will need to prepare scanned copies or pictures of the following immigration documents. To avoid complications and delays, ensure the text on the images of your documents is legible and the complete document is visible in the image. Do not include any special characters such as hyphens or underscores in your file names. PDF or JPG files are preferable.
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Passport biographical page
- F-1 or J-1 visa (except citizens of Canada)
- Most recent I-94 record of entry to the U.S. This will be accessible online after you enter the United States. Instructions explaining how to download your I-94 will be in the check-in form.
- Immigration documents for any family members who accompanied you to the U.S. in F-2 or J-2 status
How do I log into MyISSS?
- Go to myisss.umn.edu.
- Click the Login button shown in the box titled "Login with your UMN ID for Full Access." Do not use the link to "Request Limited Services Access."
- Use your UMN email and password to log in. If you have not already done so, you must claim your account by going to z.umn.edu/claim-account.
Email [email protected] if you experience difficulties when logging into MyISSS or if you have questions about uploading your documents.
What should I do if I have questions?
Email ISSS at [email protected].