Travel Within the U.S. for J-1 Students

You can travel as you wish within the United States, but you should bring certain documentation with you.

If you travel within the U.S., it is extremely important that you and your dependents bring your important documents with you in case you are asked to present them to law enforcement officials. This is especially important if you are traveling near the border to Canada or Mexico.

You should bring the following:

  • Passport
  • DS-2019
  • I-94 card
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Documentary evidence of funding
Last updated: June 7, 2021