Important Documents for J-1 Student-Interns

Expand all


The SEVIS DS-2019 is a legal document and must reflect accurate information. Changes in any of the categories listed below should be reported to ISSS and a new DS-2019 should be requested:

  • Name
  • Country of Citizenship or Country of Permanent Residency
  • Change in Primary Activity and/or Site of Activity
  • Financial Resources
  • Addition or deletion of J-2 dependent(s)
  • U.S. Residential Address (This can be updated on the University of Minnesota website MyU.)

DS-2019 End Date

The DS-2019 reflects an end date in section 3. Student-interns are allowed to participate in a specific program activity (such as research) as reflected on their DS-2019 up to that date.

  • The end date reflects the duration of the program, as provided by the host department. The end date may also be tied to the amount of funding available at the time the document was created.
  • If a student-intern completes the program activity prior to the end date, the DS-2019 will automatically expire on the date the student-intern completes. Student-interns have an automatic grace period of 30 days upon the completion of their program to depart the United States or apply for a change of visa status.
  • If a student-intern completes their program activity more than 30 days before the current DS-2019 end date, they need to please notify ISSS of their Permanent Departure, so that we can update our records.
  • Student-interns unable to complete their specific program activity by the end date must apply for an Extension before the end date passes.
  • Student-interns unable to complete their program activity by the end date and who fail to extend their DS-2019 before it expires will violate their legal status and overstay their visa.

Grace Period Eligibility

30-Day Grace Period: DHS regulations automatically provide a 30-day grace period for J-1 student-interns who complete their program activity. The 30-day grace period should be calculated from the end date on their DS-2019.

Please note: Your MN driver’s license is invalid during the grace period. Do not drive with an invalid driver’s license.


In addition to the DS-2019, all J-1 student-interns are required to have a DS-7002. The DS-7002 is a four-page document issued by ISSS that has a detailed description of the training plan for the student-intern’s time at UMN. It is specific for the student-intern listed on page 1 and was written by the faculty mentor listed on page 3. An ISSS J advisor approves the training plan by signing on page 2.

As with the DS-2019, the DS-7002 is a legal document and must reflect accurate information. Changes to any of the following must be reported to ISSS and a new DS-7002 must be requested.

Page 1:

  • Student-Intern Name
  • Field of Study
  • Expected Graduation Date
  • Internship Dates

Page 3:

  • Main Program Supervisor
  • Internship Field
  • Phase Site Address
  • Phase Start Date or End Date
  • Primary Phase Supervisor
  • Names of those who will provide continuous supervision
  • Substantive changes to description of student-intern’s role for this program or phase
  • Substantive changes to specific goals and objectives for this program or phase
  • Substantive changes to knowledge, skills, or techniques to be learned
  • Substantive changes to how the knowledge, skills, or techniques will be taught

Passport and Entry Visa


Student-interns should maintain a valid passport at all times. The passport should be valid for at least six months into the future. U.S. federal law does not allow a J-1 visa holder to enter the United States or to be employed in the United States if the passport is expired.

Student-interns should contact their consulate in the U.S. for passport renewal information. Find addresses and telephone numbers for foreign consulates in the U.S.

Entry Visa

The J-1 entry visa stamp is issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate and allows an individual to enter/re-enter the United States. A student-intern's legal J-1 status while in the U.S. is dependent upon their DS-2019 form being valid or expired, not on whether the entry visa stamp in the passport is valid or expired. Student-interns must have a valid entry visa stamp in their passport to re-enter the U.S. from overseas.

Canadian citizens: You are not required to have an entry visa to enter the United States.

Renewed or Changed Documents

When your documents are renewed or changed, please bring the updated document to ISSS or send a copy of the updated document to ISSS. 

Form I-94

The Arrival-Departure Record, or Form I-94, is provided and required by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) when exchange visitors arrive in the U.S. The air and sea arrival I-94 form is now electronic, and the land border I-94 form is still paper. Learn more on the Customs and Border Protection website. It is recommended that exchange visitors keep the paper I-94 stapled in their passports.

Last updated: June 7, 2021