The International Student Work Opportunity Program (ISWOP) helps international graduate students who are experiencing financial challenges receive an assistantship position in departments that otherwise would not be able to fully fund an assistantship.
For an ISWOP award, ISSS provides up to half the salary and benefits for a graduate assistantship appointment, and the employing department funds the remaining amount. Funds will be transferred directly to the department by the end of the fiscal year that the ISWOP was awarded.
Receiving an ISWOP award may limit your eligibility to receive other types of ISSS funding.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications at least two weeks before the start of the semester, if possible.
Meeting these criteria does not guarantee that you will receive ISSS funding. If you are in F-1 or J-1 status and do not meet all the criteria and have extenuating circumstances, you can still apply. Extenuating circumstances are considered, even if not all criteria are met.
- Document and verify your financial need
- Be enrolled in a graduate or professional degree program at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- Be in legal F-1 or J-1 student status and have held this status for at least 12 months while attending the University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- Be making satisfactory academic process
- Completed at least one academic year at the University of Minnesota in your current degree program
Priority is given to students:
- Who have not yet completed all their coursework and thesis credits
- In departments and/or colleges/schools that have not received other ISWOP awards for the current fiscal year
You must submit all required documentation. Everything in your application and all documents will be reviewed in detail. If it is determined that you are missing any required documents, your application may be delayed and/or automatically denied.
ISWOP appointments are not guaranteed to be approved. The ISSS Funding Committee will make a final approval/denial decision after a completed application is submitted.
ISWOP applications are not renewed automatically. Renewal applications are not guaranteed and will be reviewed to determine approval or denial.
You will need to submit:
- Letter from your funding source (as listed on your I-20 or DS-2019) explaining in detail why they cannot continue providing financial support. You will need separate letters for each source of funds, if you have more than one on your I-20/DS-2019.
- A completed Department Information Form with the appropriate signatures
- Documents that explain your financial need, including medical bills and other related documents
- Verification of Source of Funds form
Additional documentation and information may be requested.