Change of Address for J-1 Students

If you move and change your residential address (the location where you live), you are required by SEVIS to notify your J-1 sponsor within 10 days of the change. Your J-1 sponsor is the organization that issued your DS-2019.

Instructions for Updating Your Address

If ISSS issued your DS-2019, you need to update your address in your University of Minnesota record. Once your "current mailing" address is changed on MyU, ISSS is automatically notified, and we will automatically notify SEVIS.

It is important that you update your address correctly or it could be rejected. ISSS has created these instructions for updating your address that you should follow.

If You Can't Access MyU

Some J-1 scholars and student-interns may not have access to MyU (if you do not have an UMN ID or if you do not have an appointment at the UMN). If this is the case, you must ask your hosting department to update your address in PeopleSoft, the UMN's central administrative database, or through Human Resources. Again, this update must occur within 10 days of the actual change of your residential address.

Suppress Your Contact Information

We recommend suppressing your contact information (phone number, email, address, etc) so it cannot be in the UMN's online directory. Directions are available here.

J-2 Dependents (DS-2019 was issued by ISSS)

If the J-2 dependent is living in the U.S. with the J-1, when the J-1 updates her or his address on MyU, the J-2’s record will also be updated automatically in SEVIS.

Any J-2 dependent who is living separately from the J-1 scholar or student must file an AR-11 Form, within 10 days of moving.

ISSS suggests making a photocopy of the complete form for their personal records. ISSS recommends that they send the form by certified mail so that they have proof that they have complied with the requirement.

Review the Guidelines for Completing the AR-11.

Last updated: June 21, 2023