Identification Documents

University Identification (U Card)

The U Card gives you access to facilities and services at the University of Minnesota. As a student at UMN, you can use your U Card for ticket discounts, athletic events, University Bookstore purchases, Boynton Health Services, and more.

You'll also be able to access the University Recreation and Wellness Center, your residence hall, computer labs, laundry machines, and even the University golf course.

To get your U Card, bring your passport to the ground floor of Coffman Union. There is no fee for your U Card, unless you need a replacement card.

Driver's License

If you want to drive in Minnesota, you can use your home country’s driving permit for 60 days after arrival. After 60 days, you are required to have a Minnesota driver's license to drive in the state.

Learn more about getting a driver's license.

Minnesota State ID

The Minnesota State ID is a form of picture identification in addition to your passport and your U Card. Either a state ID or driver's license is the standard form of identification for legal checks for financial transactions like banking or for age checks like when buying alcohol or tobacco.

International students are not required to obtain a state ID or a driver's license.

To get a state ID, go to a Hennepin County Service Center that issues first-time IDs. Any documents not in English must also have an English translation done by a licensed translator. Learn more on the Hennepin County website.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Individuals who do not have or are ineligible to receive a Social Security Number may be eligible for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to file income tax forms, claim a tax treaty on academic funding, or use for some other specific legal purpose. Learn more about applying.

Last updated: March 20, 2023