Request Your Visa Document

After you confirm your enrollment, you will need to request an I-20 (for an F-1 visa application) or a DS-2019 (for a J-1 visa application). Most international students in the U.S. hold an F-1 visa

Expand all


Complete an Undergraduate New Student I-20 Request in MyISSS to request your UMN I-20. ALL incoming F-1 undergraduate students must complete the I-20 request form, including those who are transferring their I-20/SEVIS record to the UMN from another U.S. institution (even from another UMN campus!). 

Follow these steps to request your I-20:

  1. Confirm enrollment and claim your UMN account.
  2. Login to MyISSS.
  3. Once logged in, click on the ‘Admission’ tab on the left side of the screen.
  4. Click on the ‘Undergraduate New Student I-20 Request’ form to begin your request.
  5. Complete all required forms.
  6. Wait up to 2 weeks for ISSS to review your request. We will contact you if any edits are needed.
  7. You will receive an email from ISSS when your I-20 is ready. Once ready, your I-20 will be available for you to download in MyISSS.

Graduate Students

Instructions for how to receive your I-20 are available on the Graduate School’s website.  

Professional Students

The I-20 request process varies by program. Contact your program for information. 

Non-Degree/Exchange Students

The I-20 request process varies by program. Contact your exchange coordinator for information.

Students who will need a J-1 visa

If you will need a J-1 visa to study at the University of Minnesota as an undergraduate degree-seeking student (this is rare), email [email protected] for assistance to request a DS-2019 document for your J-1 visa application.

Contact [email protected] with questions.

Last updated: April 1, 2024