Visa Information for Dependents

Request an I-20/DS-2019 for Dependents

Your spouse and children under age 21 are eligible to accompany you to the U.S. with a dependent visa (F-2 or J-2).

You must request a dependent I-20 or DS-2019 document for each of your eligible dependents. Dependents are not required to pay the SEVIS fee.

For more information, contact the UMN office responsible for your documents:

If you are a J-1 student and have a DS-2019, contact the following:

  • Issued by the UMN: [email protected]
  • Issued by a different J-1 program (for example, Fulbright): Your placement office

The additional costs of dependents are listed on the Financial Certification Statement that accompanied your admission application.

Health Insurance for Dependents

You are required to purchase the University of Minnesota Health Insurance for your dependents. To find the specific rates for health insurance, visit Boynton Health.

Work and Study Regulations for Dependents

  • Dependents on F-2 visas are not, under any circumstances, allowed to earn income in the United States. F-2 visa holders are also not allowed to be a full-time student at a University or other post-secondary institution in the U.S. Please see our information about F-2 dependents
  • Dependents on J-2 visas may be authorized to work in the United States by the Immigration Service. Applications for a J-2 Work Permit are available at ISSS. J-2 dependents are also allowed to be students. Please see our information about J-2 dependents
Last updated: June 10, 2021