All Prospective J-1 Scholar or Student-Intern applications submitted to ISSS must include the English Proficiency Form with a copy of the respective support materials.
Fulfilling the English Proficiency Requirement
- Prospective J-1 Scholars (Research Scholars, Professors, and Short Term Scholars) and J-1 Student Interns fulfill the English requirement through one of the approved measurement types listed on the English Proficiency form.
- Scholars: The English Proficiency form and the measurement documentation should accompany the Prospective J-1 Scholar application submitted to ISSS.
- Student-Interns: The English Proficiency form and the measurement documentation should accompany the Prospective J-1 Student-Intern Eligibility application submitted to ISSS.
Other J Visa Types:
- Prospective J-1 students fulfill the requirement through Admissions with an English language test as determined by the UMN Office of Admissions and Office of Graduate Admissions.
- J-1 Alien Physician questions should be directed to Amrita Choudary ([email protected]) in the Office of Graduate Medical Education.
- J-1 MAST Trainee questions should be directed to Sue Rains-Johnson ([email protected]) in the MAST program.
At this time, ISSS understands that the English requirement applies only to prospective J-1 exchange visitors, and we do not require Continuing Scholar requests (i.e., extensions) to fulfill the requirement. If the Department of State specifies differently, however, ISSS will notify J-1 exchange visitors and hosting departments. (If the scholar already has documentation to fulfill the English requirement, we encourage that it be included with any future ISSS request).
Please contact ISSS if you have related questions or concerns.