H-1B and Permanent Residence

H-1B and Other Nonimmigrant Work Visas

The H-1B visa/status is used for a nonimmigrant temporary worker in a specialty occupation. It allows U.S. employers to hire qualifying foreign nationals temporarily in certain types of employment positions.

ISSS works with hiring departments and the nonimmigrants they hire to determine which of the visas on the visa options chart is appropriate for a particular position. We prepare H-1B, TN, and E-3 petitions for qualified staff and faculty who are employed by the University. Departments may work with outside counsel to file O-1 petitions.

H-1B Employment at UMN

Permanent Residence Services and Referrals

Permanent Residence (PR) in the U.S. is an immigration status that allows a foreign citizen to live and work permanently in the U.S. while retaining home country citizenship. Permanent Residence is not the same as U.S. citizenship. There are a number of terms that are used to refer to PR, including green card, immigrant status, immigrant visa, lawful permanent residence, and resident alien. See the "Green Card" information on the USCIS website for ways to apply for Permanent Residence.

ISSS processes employment-based PR petitions for tenured and tenure-track teaching faculty. We refer other faculty and staff to appropriate University offices and private attorneys. We refer students, faculty, and staff who already have or are changing to PR status to appropriate University offices/services. 

University departments who decide to pursue an employer-sponsored permanent residence petition (except those for tenure-track teaching faculty, which are processed by ISSS) must work with the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) and a private immigration attorney.

Permanent Residence for Faculty and Staff

Last updated: December 20, 2023