Plan Your Expenses

Prepare Your Financial Certification Form

Your I-20 or DS-2019 is a legal document that reflects the estimated expenses for tuition, fees, insurance, supplies, and living expenses. When you completed the financial certification form, you indicated that you have sufficient funding to cover those expenses.

The University and the U.S. government hold you responsible for the information you provided on the form. If you do not have the funds to cover these costs, you should defer your enrollment until you obtain adequate funding.

Bring Funds for Your Immediate Expenses

When planning for arrival, prepare to bring sufficient funds to pay your immediate expenses, such as a security deposit and two months’ rent, phone and electricity set up, and, possibly, the purchase of warm clothing.

We recommend that you open a bank account in the U.S. soon after your arrival. There are several different banks located near the University of Minnesota campus. When choosing a bank, ask if money can be transferred into the account from abroad if you plan to have money transferred to pay tuition, fees, mandatory health insurance, and ongoing living expenses.

If you choose to bring large amounts of money, we recommend carrying traveler's checks rather than cash. Do not put money in your checked baggage; you should carry it at all times.

Video Url

Know Your Employment Options

Visa regulations vary about when and how international students can work in the U.S. Additional information about employment is available in the International Student Preparation Course.

On-Campus Employment

J-1 students whose DS-2019 forms are issued by the UMN and all F-1 students may work on-campus for up to 20 hours a week during the academic year.

Please note: On-campus student jobs are great opportunities to gain skills and experience. They can provide partial support, but they do not pay enough to fully cover a student's living expenses.

Off-Campus Employment

Off-campus employment is prohibited for F-1 students during their first academic year in the United States. J-1 students must receive approval from their J-1 sponsor prior to starting employment in the U.S.

Last updated: March 29, 2023