U.S. Department of Labor regulations require that employers pay expenses required for H-1B applications. The fees cannot be recouped from employees.
ISSS charges the following administrative fees for preparing H-1B/E-3/TN petitions, payable via EFS:
- $1,200: Employees who are extending H-1B/E-3 status at the University of Minnesota
- $1,400: Employees who are transferring H-1B/E-3 status from another employer, changing immigration status to H-1B/E-3, or are new employees applying for H-1B/E-3 at the University of Minnesota for the first time
- $800: Employees who require a USCIS petition to change status to TN or extend TN status
USCIS fees are required for all H-1B petitions. For E-3 and TN visas, inclusion of USCIS fees is dependent on the method of application (discuss with ISSS or refer to INSZoom Document Checklist if you are unsure).
All checks should be made payable to the Department of Homeland Security, written in full (EFS vendor code: 0000000054). You may select any address when requesting the check, but the check must be given to ISSS, not mailed directly to that address. Please request all fees as separate checks.
- $460: Standard filing fee for H-1B petitions (also TN/E-3 petitions, if USCIS fee is required)
- $500: Anti-fraud fee required for new and transfer H-1B applications only; not required for H-1B extensions or any TN/E-3 petitions
- $2,500: Premium Processing is an expedited service that is available for H-1B, E-3, and TN petitions. USCIS guarantees that within 15 days they will issue either a final adjudication decision or a Request for Evidence (RFE). If USCIS fails to process the petition within 15 days, it will refund the fee. Premium Processing may be requested simultaneously with the USCIS petition or at a later date, if necessary.
- $370: Dependent (Form I-539) standard filing fee, if applicable. All dependents can be included on one Form I-539 with one $370 fee, which can be paid by the employee or the department.