U.S. Department of Labor regulations require that employers pay expenses required for H-1B applications. The fees cannot be recouped from employees.
ISSS charges the following administrative fees for preparing H-1B/E-3/TN petitions, payable via EFS (effective July 1, 2023):
- $1,500: Employees who are extending H-1B/E-3 status at the University of Minnesota
- $1,900: Employees who are transferring H-1B/E-3 status from another employer, changing immigration status to H-1B/E-3, or are new employees applying for H-1B/E-3 at the University of Minnesota for the first time
- $800: Employees who require a USCIS petition to change status to TN or extend TN status
In limited circumstances, ISSS reserves the right to charge a $400 supplemental fee for H-1B cases that are unusually complex or time-consuming. ISSS will discuss this with the department if/when the supplemental fee is required.
USCIS fees are required for all H-1B petitions. For E-3 and TN visas, inclusion of USCIS fees is dependent on the method of application (discuss with ISSS or refer to the Document Checklist if you are unsure).
All checks should be made payable to the Department of Homeland Security, written in full (EFS vendor code: 0000000054). If you are working with ISSS to file an employment-based visa petition, please refer to these instructions and templates when requesting USCIS checks. Your USCIS checks will then be delivered by campus courier from Disbursement Services to ISSS.
- $460: Standard I-129 filing fee for H-1B petitions (also TN/E-3 petitions, if a USCIS petition is required)
- $500: Anti-fraud fee required for new and transfer H-1B applications only; not required for H-1B extensions or any TN/E-3 petitions
- $2,500: Premium Processing is an expedited service that is available for H-1B, E-3, and TN petitions. USCIS guarantees that within 15 days they will issue either a final adjudication decision or a Request for Evidence (RFE). If USCIS fails to process the petition within 15 days, it will refund the fee. Premium Processing may be requested simultaneously with the USCIS petition or at a later date, if necessary.
- $370: Dependent (Form I-539) standard filing fee, if applicable. All dependents can be included on one Form I-539 with one $370 fee, which can be paid by the employee or the department.