Resources for Students and Scholars During a Crisis in their Home Country
All Students, Staff, Faculty, and Scholars
- Free 24-Hour Phone Counseling: Call 612-301-4673 or text "UMN" to 61222.
- Immigration Questions: If you have questions about your immigration status, please contact ISSS at 612-626-7100 to speak to an advisor.
- Media Guidance: Reporters and other members of the media may reach out to international students for an interview when there is a crisis or emergency in their home country. ISSS has created guidance on speaking with the media.
Student Campus Support Services
- Student Counseling Services: Individual counseling, groups, and workshops (not available for students outside Minnesota)
- Let’s Talk: Informal virtual drop-in consultations for UMN students
- Boynton Mental Health Clinic: Individual counseling, groups (not available for students outside Minnesota)
- Learn to Live: Free online programs to help with concerns such as depression, anxiety, stress, insomnia, social anxiety, and substance use. Enter code “UMN” on their site to enroll.
- Effective U: Has a number of online tutorials that help and provide skills on different help topics for students, including Stress Management
- UMN Crisis Line: Call 612-301-4673 or text "UMN" to 61222
ISSS Support for Students
- ISSS Funding Program: ISSS has a limited amount of financial assistance available for international students who have experienced financial challenges or an emergency. To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled. Contact [email protected] if you have any questions.
- ISSS Academic Counseling: ISSS Academic Counselors provide individual support for international students. We can provide help on a variety of topics including managing your academics, communicating with your instructors, and helping with any other concerns that may interfere with your academic success. Schedule an appointment.
Scholars and Employees
- Check your health insurance provider for additional resources.
Scholars and Employees Who Are Eligible for Employee Benefits at the U
Last updated: March 17, 2022