Join a Cross-Cultural Discussion Group to make new friends, expand your world-view, and discuss new topics with other UMN students!
The Cross-Cultural Discussion Groups are an opportunity to meet other UMN students from a variety of colleges, majors, and nationalities in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. During a group’s weekly discussion, you will share cross-cultural experiences and reflect on various topics including friendship and relationships, taboos and stereotypes, culture shock, educational systems around the world, adjusting to online classes, managing daily life amidst the ongoing pandemic, and much more. ISSS has facilitated these groups for more than 30 years.
All UMN students (international and domestic) can join one of the following Cross-Cultural Discussion Groups being formed for Spring 2021. All Cross-Cultural Discussion Groups will be facilitated online via Zoom in Spring 2021. There will not be in-person group sessions in Spring. Each group will meet weekly from mid-February to the end of April, and we are hosting groups at various times to accommodate time zone differences.
Registration spots for each group will be limited, so please apply as soon as possible. You can join one of the following groups (times listed are Central Time; go here to convert the time to your local time zone):
- Wednesday: 2:00-3:30 p.m. Central Time (Wednesday afternoon in Minnesota)
- Wednesday: 8:00 - 9:30 p.m. Central Time (Wednesday night in Minnesota)
- Thursday: 2:00-3:30 p.m. or 2:30-4:00 p.m. Central Time (Thursday afternoon in Minnesota)
- Thursday: 9:00-10:30 p.m. Central Time (Thursday night in Minnesota)
- Friday: 8:00-9:30 a.m. Central Time (Friday morning in Minnesota)
- Friday: 2:00-3:30 p.m. or 2:30-4:00 p.m. Central Time (Friday afternoon in Minnesota)