Transferring to the University of Minnesota

You will need to transfer your visa to the UMN if you currently hold F-1 status at another institution in the U.S. and plan to remain in the same immigration status when at UMN. 

You should be aware that any Off-Campus Work Permission Based on Unforeseen Financial Change authorized by the Department of Homeland Security becomes void when a student transfers schools. Students who transfer to the University of Minnesota will not be eligible to apply for Off Campus Work Permission Based on Unforeseen Financial Change unless they:

  • Have been enrolled at UMN for twelve months, and
  • Can demonstrate an unforeseen change in their financial circumstances that occurred since beginning their program at UMN.
Last updated: August 31, 2021