Reentry to U.S. to Acquire F-2 Status

To qualify for an F-2 visa and entry to the U.S. in F-2 status, a spouse or unmarried child (under age 21) must establish to the satisfaction of the visa officer at the U.S. consulate and immigration officer at the U.S. port of entry that he or she:

  • Is the spouse (as evidenced by a valid marriage certificate) or child (as evidenced by a valid birth certificate) of the F-1 principal;
  • Has sufficient funds to cover his/her expenses;
  • Will be either accompanying or joining the F-1 principal; and
  • Intends to leave the U.S. after the F-1 principal completes their academic program and any related optional practical training.

Individuals who choose to reenter the U.S. to acquire F-2 status, must follow the steps below.

  1. Obtain an F-2 I-20. As a University of Minnesota Twin Cities student, the F-1 student must request an F-2 I-20 by completing the “Add/Remove Dependents” form in MyISSS
  2. Apply for an F-2 visa at a consular office outside the U.S., preferably in your country of citizenship.
  3. Upon reentering the U.S. in F-2 status, email to [email protected] a copy of your F-2 I-20, passport biographical page, F-2 visa [except citizens of Canada], and I-94 record of entry to the U.S. If you were in F-1 status at the University of Minnesota before obtaining F-2 status, email a completed F-1 Departure Form to [email protected].
Last updated: March 1, 2024