University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Tax Resources and

Am I eligible to apply for Minnesota's Property Tax Refund?

Here is the answer from the MN Department of Revenue:

You must have been a full or part year resident of the tax year. If you are a renter and a permanent resident of another state, but are considered to be a resident for income tax purposes because you lived in Minnesota for more than 183 days, you may apply for this refund. Full-year residents of Wisconsin, Michigan and North Dakota cannot apply for this refund.

You cannot be a dependent

A dependent is a person who meets at least one of the following three requirements:

  1. could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's federal income tax return
  2. lived with a parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt or uncle for more than half the year, and was under 19 at the end of the year (24 if a full-time student), and did not provide more than 50 percent of his or her own support
  3. had gross income of less than $3,500, and had more than 50 percent of his or her support provided by:
    a person he or she lived with for the entire year (not in violation of local law), or
    a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, aunt, uncle, sibling, niece or nephew

Additionally, you cannot claim a refund if you are a nonresident alien living in Minnesota, your gross income was less than $3,500 and you received more than 50 percent of your support from a relative.


Renters receive a notice from your landlord that say they can file for a "Property Tax Refund" on your taxes. Be cautious about applying for this refund, and consult an expert on non-resident tax issues first. The rules are very complicated, and you can be liable for repayment with penalties and interest. Some international students have already run into difficulty from this refund. This issue could jeopardize your immigration status. ISSS is unable to give tax advice, so please consult our website for resources to help you with tax questions.