University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Tax Resources and

Frequently Asked Questions about tax

1: What forms might I need?

  • Form 8843 - This is required for all international students and scholars, even those who earned no income in the U.S.
  • 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ (NR stands for Non-Resident) - The 1040NR-EZ is a simpler, shorter form.
  • Read the first page of the 1040NR-EZ instructions to determine whether you must file the 1040NR.
  • 1040 or 1040EZ - for people who do not qualify as non-residents for tax purposes.
  • 843 - if Social Security money was withheld by your employer (Check your W-2 or paystub to find out)
  • Minnesota State Form

2: How can I get the federal forms?

  1. Download them from the IRS website, or
  2. Call the IRS (1-800-829-1040) and request forms to be mailed to you

3: Am I eligible to apply MN for Property Tax refund?

Remember that federal forms are filed separately from state forms, which are available at post offices or online. You must also file a Minnesota state form if you have income subject to federal withholding, or you want a property tax refund. Everyone uses the same form for state taxes; there is no specialized for internationals. The form, and the website, can define eligibility for refunds. See more details 

4: What if I own property/earned dividends/have a working spouse/never reported last year's income/etc.?

If you have a complex return, we urge you to employ a paid tax preparer who is familiar with non-resident tax laws. 

Please Note: ISSS advisors and staff cannot give tax advice or assistance!! Attend one of the Tax Clinics if you want assistance filing your nonresident tax forms.