University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Tax Resources and

Tax Questions

Want help preparing your U.S. and state tax returns?

Important: The information on this website is for the 2018 tax season. Information for 2019 tax season is not yet available, but we will update this website and include an annnouncement in the ISSS Weekly Update once it is.

Fraud Warning:

International students and scholars are frequently targeted by tax email and phone scams.

Governmental agencies will NEVER contact you by phone or email to demand an immediate payment or to warn you of a fine/tax.

Students and scholars who were enrolled in classes, researching at the UMN, or using OPT work authorization after graduating from the UMN during the 2019 tax year can use Sprintax to prepare their non-resident tax returns. Sprintax is a secure tool designed to:

  • Help non-residents determine if they need to prepare their taxes
  • Calculate an individual's tax liability, based on information entered
  • Complete the necessary federal forms so they can be printed, signed, and mailed
  • Prepare amendments, late filings, or corrections for the 2017 tax year, if necessary.

ISSS has also arranged several Tax Orientation and Clinics throughout February, March, and early April. At these sessions,you can learn how to use the Sprintax tool and receive individual assistance.

What do you want to do?

File Your Taxes Attend a Tax Orientation or Clinic Protect Yourself from Fraud See Additional Resources

If you have questions about an Individual Tax Payer Identification Number, you can meet with an adviser during Walk-In Hours. Please bring your original visa documents with you (passport, I-20, DS-2019, visa).

Please Note: ISSS advisors and staff cannot give tax advice or assistance!! Attend one of the Tax Clinics if you want assistance filing your non-resident tax forms.