University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota


One of the main functions carried out by ISSS is to assist international students and scholars on F-1 (student), J-1 (student and scholar) visas in maintaining their non-immigrant status in the United States.

Our staff is professionally trained to provide advising and counseling to foreign nationals about academic, immigration, legal, career, financial, personal and family issues, as well as issues of cross-cultural adjustment and professional integration upon returning to home countries.

The office issues non-immigrant documents for the purpose of travel, dependent travel, change of degree program, transfer of schools, extension of stay, employment options, and (in some cases) for entry to the University.

Please note, however, that International Student and Scholar Services is not an office of the Department of Homeland Security.

In addition, our office provides academic and personal counseling.  Many students, both international and U.S., experience personal and academic difficulties while working towards their degree program. If you want to discuss a more personal situation that may be affecting your studies, you may wish to see an ISSS adviser who is trained in Counseling.

Please see the links below if you are a prospective, new, or current F or J student: