University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota



Welcome! The office of International Student and Scholar Services is proud to support University of Minnesota sponsored students and their sponsors.

You are a sponsored student if one or more of the following conditions apply to you:

  • Your educational expenses are paid for by a government (US or foreign), international organization, non-profit organization, foundation, employer in your home country or other third-party organization or institution. You may be in the U.S. on an F-1 visa or a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa with the I-20 or DS-2019 form issued by the University of Minnesota
  • You are in the U.S. on a J-1 Exchange visitor visa and your DS-2019 form was issued by a sponsored programs agency (ex: Institute of International Education, LASPAU, AMIDEAST etc.).

All sponsored students will work with Sponsored Student Programs staff, Gabi Schmiegel, Director of Sponsored Students.

You can reach us at via e-mail at or by phone at 612-626-7100. The University and ISSS understand that sponsored students carry many responsibilities in relation to their sponsorship and we are here to support you.