University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota


New Sponsored Students

Welcome to the University of Minnesota!

We are happy that you will attend the University of Minnesota. There are special orientation requirements and immigration regulations for sponsored students, so review the following definition to determine if you are a sponsored student. Please note, most international students are NOT sponsored students.

You Are A Sponsored Student If...

You are approved to study at the University of Minnesota by:

  • your government
  • an international organization
  • a non-profit organization
  • a foundation
  • an employer in your home country
  • other third-party organization or institution

Examples include: Petronas, MARA, JPA, Royal Thai Government Scholarship, ADNOC, ADIA, CAPES, DAAD, Saudi Government, Kuwaiti Government, etc.

Your tuition, fees, insurance will be paid directly to the University after the University sends an invoice to your sponsor.

If you are a sponsored student, go to the New Sponsored Student Page.

You Are Not A Sponsored Student If...

You receive funding from your government or a third party directly and you pay tuition and fees to the University yourself, you are not considered a sponsored student.

  • Examples include: Norwegian Lanekassen and Ecuador SENESCYT.

You are coming to the University of Minnesota due to an agreement between your home university and the U of MN or you are coming to the University through InfoLink or the Study Abroad Foundation, you are not a sponsored student.  

You or your family will be paying your tution.

If you are not a sponsored student, go to the New Student Page.

If you are not certain, email to, and we will review your file.