University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota


Identification Documents

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number(ITIN)

Individuals requiring an identification number to file income tax forms, or for some other specific legal purpose, but who do not qualify for a Social Security number (F–2, J–2, F–1 without job offer, H–4 visa holders), may be eligible for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

For more information on ITINs, IRS has provided general information in Publication 1915 - Understanding Your IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, (P.S. you need to download a new W–7 form) and information on obtaining an ITIN from abroad.

See an ISSS Adviser to request a DSO certification letter.

ITIN numbers cannot be used for employment. Employment in the United States requires a Social Security Number.