University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota


Studying Abroad

Start the process early and contact the following offices in preparation of your trip:

Consulate/Embassy of the Country Where You Will Study

  1. Inquire if you need a visa to study in that country. Visa requirements may differ for U.S. students. Check whether citizens of your country are required to obtain a visa and how to apply.

Learning Abroad Center (LAC)

  1. Check if there are scholarships available.
  2. Send an email to asking if the program you are interested in provides assistance with obtaining a visa, if one is required.
  3. Ask about maintaining your UMN student status while you are gone.

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)

  1. Check if you will be able to keep your SEVIS record active while participating in the study abroad program. If you plan to maintain your F-1 status while studying abroad, you must complete a minimum of 12 credits.
  2. Inquire about re-entry to the US at the completion of your program. Will you need to renew your U.S. visa? Will your travel signature be valid? 
  3. If it will be your final semester, ask whether study abroad will impact your ability to apply for Optional Practical Training (F-1s) or Academic Training (J-1s).

Health Insurance Office

  1. Ask about health insurance requirements while overseas.