University of Minnesota
Start the process early and contact the following offices in preparation of your trip:
Consulate/Embassy of the Country where you will Study
- Inquire if you need a visa to study in that country. Visa requirements may differ for U.S. students. Check whether citizens of your country are required to obtain a visa and how to apply.
- Check if scholarships are available to international students.
- Send an email to email@example.com asking if the program you are interested in provides assistance with obtaining a visa, if one is required.
- Ask about maintaining your UMN student status while you are gone.
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)
- Check if you will be able to keep your SEVIS record active while participating in the study abroad program.
- Inquire about re-entry to the US at the completion of your program. Will you need to renew your U.S. visa? Will your travel signature be valid?
- If it will be your final semester, ask whether study abroad will impact your ability to apply for Optional Practical Training (F-1s) or Academic Training (J-1s).
Health Insurance Office
- Ask about health insurance requirements while overseas.