University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota


Identification Documents

Minnesota State ID

The Minnesota State ID is a form of picture identification in addition to your passport and your University Identification Card (U Card). In Minnesota, either State ID or Driver's License is the standard forms of identification for legal check including financial transactions (banks, groceries, shops, etc.), age check (restricted goods purchase such as alcohol, tobacco, lighter, etc.).

Please note that international students and scholars are not required to obtain either a Minnesota State I.D. or a Minnesota Driver’s License.

Note: Not all Service Centers issue first-time Minnesota State IDs. Two two nearest locations to campus are The Minneapolis Government Center (300 South 6th St Minneapolis MN, 55487) and Midtown Exchange Service Center (2929 Chicago Ave S Minneapolis MN, 55407). Consult the Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) website for hours or more information.

To get a MINNESOTA STATE ID, go to a Service Center that issues first-time IDs. See ID requirement on the Hennepin County website. Any documents not in English must also have an English translation done by a licensed translator. For more information and fee check here. (NOTE: You can still apply for the MN State ID even if you don't have a social security number)