University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

New Students



Remove Your Registration Holds

Required Activities
To review a list of your holds,
go to MyU and click the "Holds" notification.
(click to enlarge)

It is essential that you take action to remove the registration holds that are on your student record before your registration time. You can see a list of the holds on your record by going to MyU and looking at the "Holds" tab (learn how here). You will not be allowed to register for classes until these holds are removed.

Many international students have at least two holds on their records as part of admission to the University, and you will not be allowed to register until these holds are removed.

Below is a list of holds you should know about and instructions about their removal.

AI Hold (“Determine Visa Status”)

Placed By: International Student and Scholar Services

ISSS will remove this after you complete the International Student Preparation Course, upload your documents on MyISSS and attend ISSS Check-In and Welcome Session.

Undergraduate students (first year and transfer students) will also need to complete the New International Student Seminar (NISS) before registering for future semesters. ISSS will send more information after classes begin.

AZ Hold (“ESL, English/Second Language”)

Placed By: Minnesota English Language Program

To remove this, you may need to take an English proficiency test or register for a class. See the English Proficiency page for more information.

RS Hold (“New Student Approval”)

Placed By: Orientation and Transition Experiences

This hold is for undergraduate students who are required to attend a college orientation program. You will also attend your ISSS Check-In and Welcome Session as part of your orientation program. To remove this hold, attend your college orientation program at the scheduled time. You should receive information about your college orientation after you confirm your enrollment. If you do not receive this information, contact your college office or visit

MG and MJ Holds (“Grad School Final Degree Transcript and Master Transcript”)

Placed By: The Graduate School

This hold indicates that the Graduate School needs a transcript or other record to complete your admission file. Learn more at

FE and SFI Holds (“Financial Aid-Ineligible Plan and Not Eligible for Payment Plan”)

Non-degree students only

Non-degree students do not need to resolve the FE/SFI holds. They are for administrative purposes only, and they will not prevent you from registering at your appointed time.

Non-degree students should resolve any other holds that are on your record.