University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

New Students

Arrival in Minnesota

Attention International Travelers

The UMN's Immigration Response Team has created two voluntary forms where you can share your visa and border entry issues and experiences. You are not required to complete these forms, but the information will help us understand how members of the UMN community might be affected.

Prepare for Inspection at the U.S. Port of Entry 

You will need to present the following documents to a Customs and Border Protection officer when you arrive in the USA. Keep these documents close to you during your travel. Do not pack them into your luggage, as you will not be allowed to retrieve your luggage until you have gone through immigration.

  • Your passport and entry visa
  • I-20 or DS-2019 document
  • Form 6059, "Customs Declaration" (given to you as you arrive)

You may also be asked to provide additional documents, such as proof of financial support and/or UMN admission.

When completing your paperwork, always spell your name exactly as it appears in your passport and visa.

Get Your I-94 Travel Record

An I-94 is a record of your travel to the United States. You should check the accuracy of your I-94 after you arrive in the USA, and you should keep a copy for your records. This will be one of the documents you must submit through MyISSS.

  • If you arrive via air or sea, your I-94 will be recorded electronically, and you can access and print your electronic I-94 arrival record after inspection at
  • If you arrive via a land border, you may be given a paper Form I-94 record. To save time at the border, apply for a land border I-94 arrival record seven (or fewer) days before your arrival at

Carrying Cash Into the United States

If you choose to bring large amounts of money with you, we recommend that you carry traveler's checks rather than cash.  Do not carry money in your luggage; keep it on your person at all times. 

Important: You will be required to file a report with U.S. Customs when you enter the country if you bring cash or checks with you to the United States that are worth $10,000 USD or more (USD or the foreign equivalent). The U.S. government allows you to carry any amount of currency or other monetary instruments into the United States, but the funds may be confiscated by the U.S. government if you fail to report amounts of above $10,000 or more.

If traveling with family members, including your parents, your family must file a family declaration if you, collectively, bring $10,000 or more into the U.S. This declaration will list all of the funds being brought into the U.S.