University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

J – 1 Students

[an error occurred while processing this directive]



Important Documents: Passport & Entry Visa


A J-1 student should maintain a valid passport at all times. Passport should be valid for at least six months into the future. U.S. Federal law does not allow a J-1 visa holder to enter the United States or to be employed in the United States if the passport is expired.

Students should contact their consulate in the U.S. for passport renewal information. Addresses and telephone numbers for foreign consulates in the U.S.

Canadian Citizens: Are not required to have a passport. However, they must have proof of Canadian Citizenship (i.e. birth certificate).

Entry visa stamp (in the passport):

The J-1 entry visa stamp is issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate and allows an individual to enter/re-enter the United States. A student’s legal J-1 status while in the U.S. is dependent upon his/her DS-2019 form being valid or expired and not on whether the entry visa stamp in the passport is valid or expired. Students must have a valid entry visa stamp in their passport to re-enter the U.S. from overseas.

Canadian Citizens: Are not required to have an entry visa to enter the United States.