University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

J – 1 Students

Work Options for Student on J-1 Visa

On-Campus Work

Do not start employment without proper work authorization.  This includes internships and any summer employment.

Please note: J-1 work authorization can only be issued by the sponsoring agency that issued your DS-2019. Below are the work options for students who’s DS-2019s were issued by the University of Minnesota (academic programs only). If your DS-2019 was issued by another agency, please contact that agency for information about work authorization.

  • Authorization not necessary for a 50%-time employment (20 hrs. per week) or less if your DS-2019 was issued by the University of Minnesota and your paycheck is issued by the U of M. However, for those who have a non-University of MN financial sponsor, they may require you to seek approval for employment from them.
  • Includes student employment jobs and graduate assistantships.
  • Can begin working first semester at the University, if registered full time.
  • Must be a full-time student or have submitted a valid Reduced Course Load Form.
  • Hours limited to 50% (20 hours per week) during the academic year, and 100% (40 hours per week) during vacation periods.
  • 100% (40 hours per week) allowed during the academic year with full-time academic training authorization from the office that issued your DS-2019.
  • For student employment, go to on the web. Check frequently! (International students are not eligible for “work study” jobs.)
  • For graduate assistantships, jobs are posted:
    - on the Office of Human Resources website.
    - in your academic department.
  • On-Campus Work Permit ends upon Completion of your Program of Study

Report your Employment

Any employment has to be recorded in SEVIS. You must email ISSS at

  • Name of Organization/Department you work for
  • Address
  • Start date
  • End date
  • Number of Hours per week
  • Employment Type (on or off campus)
  • On Campus Employment Type (Assistantship, Scholarship, Fellowship, or on the premises)

This work authorization ends on the day a student completes all requirements for their program of study. Please meet with an ISSS advisor to discuss and secure proper work authorization before continuing your on-campus employment after completion. This includes your graduate assistantship.