University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

J – 1 Students

Work Options for Student on J-1 Visa

Employment Off the University of Minnesota Campus

As an international student, you MUST have an off campus work permit before working off campus. This regulation applies year round (including summer) and nationwide (anywhere within the U.S.). Please meet with an advisor before you accept any off-campus job, regardless of which state you will be working in. See below for your off campus work authorization options.

Academic Training – (Off Campus Work Permission)

  • Academic Training is authorized by International Student and Scholar Services for J-1 students on a University of Minnesota DS-2019 (Program P-1-00045).
  • If your DS-2019 was not issued by ISSS for a University of Minnesota J-1 program, please contact your J-1 sponsor for Academic Training.
  • Job must be directly related to your field of study.
  • May be used before and/or after graduation.
  • Student must be in good academic standing.
  • Limited to a total of 18 months or the period of time spent as a student (whichever is shorter). Students in postdoctoral research positions may be eligible for a total of 36 months of academic training if the job is “postdoctoral training”.
  • If the employment is a mandatory part of the academic program, the student can use Academic Training up until completion of their program of study. However, if the pre-completion Academic Training is 18 months or more, the student is ineligible for post-completion Academic Training unless applying for a post-doctoral research position.
  • Post-completion authorization must begin within 30 days of program completion.
  • The authorization is in the form of a letter from the Responsible Officer or Alternate Responsible Officer from the University of Minnesota and on the DS-2019, if an extension document is needed.
  • To apply, you must have a job offer and get authorization in advance of beginning the employment.
  • More information about Academic Training is available on the Academic Training Application form.

Off-Campus Work Permission – Based on Economic Necessity

  • The student must demonstrate serious, urgent, and unforeseen financial need.
  • Pre-completion only.
  • Student must be in good academic standing.
  • Student must continue to engage in a full course of study during the academic year.
  • Can work up to 20 hours per week (inclusive of all employment held on- and off-campus) during the academic year and 40 hours during vacation periods.
  • To get an application, see an ISSS J-1 adviser during walk-ins or make an appointment.
  • Authorization is granted by International Student and Scholar Services if your DS-2019 was issued by ISSS, otherwise contact your J-1 sponsor.

Report your Employment

Any employment has to be recorded in SEVIS. You must email ISSS at

  • Name of Organization/Department you work for
  • Address
  • Start date
  • End date
  • Number of Hours per week
  • Employment Type (on or off campus)
  • On Campus Employment Type (Assistantship, Scholarship, Fellowship, or on the premises)