University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

J – 1 Students

J-1 International Student Financial Certification Form
To apply for a DS-2019 from the University of Minnesota

Introduction to Application

Please begin with question #1 below to determine if the University of Minnesota should issue a DS-2019 (J-1 visa document) for you.

1. Do you need an F-1 visa or a J-1 visa?

You are expected to enter the U.S. on an F-1 visa unless your source of funding or your exchange program requires you to enter on a J-1 visa (i.e. home government, U.S. government, international organization, etc.). Regulations do not allow the issuance of a J-1 visa when the source of funding is primarily personal or family funds. The University of Minnesota does NOT require students holding assistantship to enter the U.S. on J-1 visas.

  • F-1 needed. If you need an F-1, please go back to the

  • J-1 needed. If you need a J-1, please go to question #2 below.
2. Do you already have a J-1 sponsor who will issue your DS-2019 for your studies here at the University of Minnesota?
  •      Yes. If yes, please stop here. Do not fill out this application. Contact your J-1 sponsor for information about your DS-2019 and J-1 status.

  •      No. If no, the University of Minnesota will issue your DS-2019. Please go to question #3 below.
3. Have you been admitted to a degree program, or are you a non-degree-seeking student on an exchange program?