University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Important Documents - Passport and Entry Visa
For J-1 Research Scholars, Professors, Short-term Scholars, and Student-Interns


A J-1 scholar or student-interns should maintain a valid passport at all times. Passport should be valid for at least six months into the future. U.S. Federal law does not allow a J-1 visa holder to enter the United States or to be employed in the United States if the passport is expired.

Scholars and student-interns should contact their consulate in the U.S. for passport renewal information. Addresses and telephone numbers for foreign consulates in the U.S.

Entry visa stamp (in the passport)

The J-1 entry visa stamp is issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate and allows an individual to enter/re-enter the United States. A scholar or student-intern's legal J-1 status while in the U.S. is dependent upon his/her DS-2019 form being valid or expired — not on whether the entry visa stamp in the passport is valid or expired. Scholars and student-interns must have a valid entry visa stamp in their passport to re-enter the U.S. from overseas.

Canadian Citizens: You are not required to have an entry visa to enter the United States.

Form I-94

The Arrival-Departure Record, or Form I-94, is provided and required by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) when exchange visitors arrive in the U.S. The air and sea arrival I-94 form is now electronic, and the land border I-94 form is still paper. For more information, please click here. It is recommended that exchange visitors keep the paper I-94 stapled in their passports.

REMINDER: When any of the above documents, except for the I-94, are renewed or changed, please bring the updated document to ISSS or send a copy of the updated document to ISSS.