University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

F – 1 Students

Add/Update Your Mailing Address and Phone Number

Add/Update Your Mailing Address

SEVIS requires students on F-1 visas to report their U.S. address to the University of Minnesota within 10 days of moving. Failure to update your current address in MyU can result in the loss of your status.

Spring 2021 Information

  • If you are a continuing/returning student who is living outside of the U.S. for Spring 2021 and you do not have a current address in the United States, you may enter the address of a friend or family member who could receive university mail on your behalf while you are away. If this is not an option for you, you may enter the ISSS address. Do not enter a foreign address as your mailing address in MyU. A current U.S. address is required in order to keep your SEVIS record Active. This mailbox is not regularly monitored, however, so you should not use the ISSS address for any other purposes.
  • If you have never entered the U.S. on your “Initial Attendance” UMN I-20 and you will study online from outside the U.S. for Spring 2021, you are not required to enter a U.S. address in MyU at this time. Enter your U.S. address in MyU within 10 days of arriving in the U.S.

To add/update your address, do the following:

  1. Go to MyU. Click on the “My Info” tab.
  2. Click on the pencil that is to the right of the Address label. Clicking on any of the other pencils icons will not give you the option to update your address.
  3. Find the address that is labeled "Mail" under "Address Type," and click on the Edit box to the right. The "Mail" address type is the only one that allows us to update your electronic SEVIS record. 
  4. Update your residential address as follows. Putting in any other information or changing the order of the information will cause your address to be rejected.
    • In Address 1: Enter the House number and street name ONLY. This is true whether you live in an apartment, dorm, or house. if you enter anything other than the building or house number and name of the street on the first line, your whole address will be rejected. For example: 1234 University Ave. S. or 412 22nd Ave. SE
    • In Address 2: Add your apartment number or residence hall name and room number. DO NOT INCLUDE apartment or residence hall name. For example: Apt. 3 or Unit 1234.
    • Enter City and State in the proper boxes and nowhere else. MyU will fill in the zip code automatically after you have entered the other information
    • Click "Save" once you are done.
  5. Review the address in the "Change Address" screen that appears. In the "Address Types" box, check "Mail" AND "Home" address. Uncheck any of the other boxes ( Billing, etc.) unless this address should also be used for those purposes. When reviewing your address, please note:
    • The system may update the information you enter in order to match it to a database of street addresses, so the text may change once you go to the next line (terms may be abbreviated, for example).
    • You cannot use a P.O. box or foreign, office, or department address. You must the U.S. street address where you reside.
  6. If you need to make edits, click "Edit Address." Otherwise click "Save."
  7. If you are living in a temporary residence, you must enter your current address now and then update it within 10 days of moving.

We also recommend suppressing your contact information (phone number, email, address, etc) so it cannot be in the UMN's online directory. Directions are available here.

Add/Update Your Phone Number

  1. You must also enter a phone number into MyU. To update your phone number, go to the "My Info" tab, and click the pencil icon next to "Phone."
  2. Click "Add A Phone Number," or click on the pencil that is right of "Phone" and make corrections.
  3. Select "Home" as the "Phone Type" in the drop-down menu, enter your phone number, and enter enter your country code, if this is not a U.S. phone number.
    • If you have a U.S. phone number, it must be entered in this exact format in the 'Telephone' box: 612/626-7100. Do not add extra numbers before the area code (in this example, the area code is 612). Do not include plus signs "+", dashes "-", or the number 1 preceding the phone number.
    • If you do not currently have a U.S. phone number, enter your foreign phone number in the 'Telephone' box, and then enter the Country Code in the 'Country' box. Do not include plus signs "+" or dashes "-". When you do get a new U.S. phone number, update it following the previous step.
  4. After you have finished entering your phone number, check the 'Preferred' box next to it.
  5. Click "Save."

F-2 Dependents

If an F-2 dependent is living in the U.S. with the F-1, when the F-1 updates her or his address on MyU, the F-2's record will also be updated automatically in SEVIS.

Any F-2 who is living separately from the F-1 student must file an AR-11 Form within 10 days of moving.

Please See Guidelines for Completing the AR-11