Change of Address: F-1 and F-2 Visa Holders
Please Note: Due to technical difficulties, some students and scholars cannot add or edit their U.S. address or phone number on MyU. If you do not see the pencil icons for the address or phone number fields on the "My Info" tab (see example to right), go to a One Stop office in person for assistance. Do not call or email as that will slow the process, and your change of address must still be reported within 10 days of your move. Thank you for your cooperation.
SEVIS requires students on F-1 visas to report their U.S. address to the University of Minnesota within 10 days of moving. Failure to update your current address in MyU can result in the loss of your status.
To update your address, do the following:
- Go to MyU.
- Log in using your X.500 ID and password.
- Click on the “My Info” tab.
- Click on the pencil that is to the right of the Address label. Clicking on any of the other pencils icons will not give you the option to update your address.
- Find the address that is labeled "Mail" under "Address Type," and click on the Edit box to the right. The "Mail" address type is the only one that allows us to update your electronic SEVIS record.
- Update your residential address as follows. Putting in any other information or changing the order of the information will cause your address to be rejected.
Review the address in the "Change Address" screen that appears. In the "Address Types" box, "Mail" will be grayed out and have a check mark next to it. We recommend you also check the "Home" address. Uncheck any of the other boxes ( Billing, etc.) unless this address should also be used for those purposes. When reviewing your address, please note:
- In Address 1: Enter the House number and street name ONLY. This is true whether you live in an apartment, dorm, or house. if you enter anything other than the building or house number and name of the street on the first line, your whole address will be rejected. For example: 1234 University Ave. S. or 412 22nd Ave. SE
- In Address 2: Add your apartment number or residence hall name and room number. For example: Apt. 3 or Middlebrook Hall 1234
- Enter City and State in the proper boxes and nowhere else. MyU will fill in the zip code automatically after you have entered the other information
- Click "Save" once you are done.
If you need to make edits, click "Edit Address." Otherwise click "Save."
If you are living in a temporary residence, you must enter your current address now and then update it within 10 days of moving.
- The system may update the information you enter in order to match it to a database of street addresses, so the text may change once you go to the next line (terms may be abbreviated, for example).
- You cannot use a P.O. box or foreign, office, or department address. You must the U.S. street address where you reside.
We also recommend suppressing your contact information (phone number, email, address, etc) so it cannot be
in the UMN's online directory. Directions are available here.
If an F-2 dependent is living in the U.S. with the F-1, when the F-1 updates her or his address on MyU, the F-2's record will also be updated automatically in SEVIS.
Any F-2 who is living separately from the F-1 student must file an AR-11 Form within 10 days of moving.
Please See Guidelines for Completing