University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

F – 1 Students

F-1 Travel Information

Travel Within the United States
Travel within the United States and to U.S. territories is not restricted and no special documents are required. However, it is extremely important that you and your dependents carry your passport and visa documents with you when traveling in the U.S. in the event you need to present them to law enforcement officials.

Travel Outside the United States
Students should have a valid Passport, F-1 Entry Visa, I-20 Document, Re-entry Signature on page 2 or 3 of I-20, Documentary Evidence of Funding, Evidence of Full-time Enrollment at the University (transcripts and if applicable, Reduced Course Load Forms), and a copy of the I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt (go to to print a receipt if you do not have a copy.

Travel for F-2 Dependents

Additional Information
US-VISIT Program, Travel to Canada and Mexico, Tourist Visas to Other Countries, Special Registration, Extended Absences, and Financial Aid.