University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

F – 1 Students

F-2 Dependent Part-Time Study Options

Studying Part-Time

F-2 dependents of F-1 students in the United States may now study part-time in any certified program at an SEVP-certified school at the postsecondary level.

F-2 minors must still comply with compulsory education requirements in attending kindergarten through 12th grade. However, an F-2 dependent who wants to enroll full-time in a course of postsecondary academic study must apply for and obtain approval to change nonimmigrant classification to F-1 or before beginning their full-time study.

For additional information about the amended regulations, visit the Frequestly Asked Questions page on the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforment website.