University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

F – 1 Students

Health Insurance for Dependents

If you have a dependent child who is a U.S. citizen, you are required to purchase health insurance for that child that meets certain minimum requirements or pay a “shared responsibility payment.” This is a requirement of the federal Affordable Care Act (ACA). The easiest method for meeting this requirement is to add your American citizen child to your mandatory U of M insurance, as all U of M plans are compliant with the ACA’s requirements