University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

F – 1 Students

F-1: Transfer From the University of Minnesota

Your SEVIS record must be released to your new school before they can prepare an I-20 for you.

  • Meet with an ISSS adviser during scheduled Walk-In Hours or a scheduled appointment to discuss your intent to transfer and to determine your “transfer release date”. Note: The transfer release date will be the date you no longer have ties to the University of Minnesota (i.e., class, employment, etc.).
  • Ask the ISSS adviser to process a “transfer release” in SEVIS for you to attend the new school. Note: You must be certain that you want to attend that school. If you have admission applications pending at other schools that you may wish to attend, do not request the transfer release until you have made a final decision on the school you want to transfer to.
  • If your new school has mailed you a Transfer Recommendation form, ask the ISSS adviser to complete that form for you.
  • If you have violated your legal status, you will not be eligible to transfer your visa status. However, your SEVIS record will still be transferred to your new school and the international student adviser at the new school will discuss with you reentry to regain legal status or a reinstatement application to Dept of Homeland Security to regain legal status. The ISSS adviser can also discuss options with you.
  • When the transfer release date arrives, your new school will gain access to your SEVIS record and will be able to process a “transfer pending I-20” for you.
  • You may use the Transfer Pending I-20 for reentry into the U.S. if you elect to travel before reporting to your new school. You must have a valid F-1 entry visa stamp and you must be prepared to document the funding resources noted on the I-20. You should also carry a transcript from each school in the U.S. where you have studied.
  • Upon your full-time enrollment at the new school and prior to the 15th day of class, ask the international student adviser to prepare a “Transfer completed I-20” for you.
  • If you have been offered an assistantship or fellowship, discuss the transfer deadline with the international student adviser to avoid losing salary or fellowship funds.
  • If your plans change (i.e., you decide to transfer to a different school or you decide to continue employment at the U of MN for a longer period of time, etc.) it is essential that you notify an ISSS adviser immediately! Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, the action cannot be rescinded.