University of Minnesota
Job Search Tips for International Students
From International Alumni
Here are a few tips from international alumni who successfully found jobs after graduating from the University of Minnesota:
- Start early!
- Be involved in campus community.
Discover something that you are interested in and drive that to success.
Determine the general direction of what you want to do, and find out how the visa rules impact that.
Be genuinely curious of the fields you may be entering.
Develop practical capabilities and skill that will help distinguish you from other applicants.
Gain experiences and be flexible.
- You will find a field that you are passionate about.
- You will acquire multi-tasking and communication skills.
Start building relationships with your professors, mentors, and classmates.
Make friends with your classmates in the courses for your major, and stay connected with them.
Spend a lot of time preparing for your job search.
- Take the opportunities that come to you. They can lead to other opportunities.
- Start with volunteering if you do not have any experiences in the field.
Do not give up!
- Your resume should be flawless.
- Find out what types of interview styles are used in your field.
- You may need to apply for a lot of jobs to get some interviews.